Mastering Tough Beards: Expert Tips for a Smoother Shave
Have you ever wondered if your beard qualifies as 'tough'? Or, if it does, how you can achieve a more comfortable shave? Let's dive into these questions.
Identifying a Tough Beard
First, let's figure out if you have a tough beard. You might relate to one or more of these signs:
- Your beard shows a shadow by afternoon, not just at 5 o’clock.
- Moisturizing your beard for a shave feels like an uphill battle.
- Shaving feels more like tugging than gliding.
- Your razor blades become dull after just one shave – an expensive problem!
- Recognize any of these issues? If yes, you're dealing with a tough beard.
Enhancing Your Shaving Experience
How do you transform your shave into something enjoyable, even with a tough beard? Here are some expert tips:
- Shave in or after a Shower: The key is maximum beard moisture. Shave as the last step in your shower or immediately after. This ensures your beard is as moist as possible, setting the stage for a smoother shave.
- Use Pre-Shave Oil and Glycerin-Based Shave Cream: Pre-shave oil locks in moisture and shields your skin from the blade. A glycerin-based shave cream, like Burke Avenue's, adds extra moisture, softening the beard and further protecting your skin.
- Choose Your Blade Wisely: The goal is to maintain a comfortable no-tug glide. To accomplish this, I recommend a DE Razor & Feather blade. However, if you prefer a multi-blade system, the Gillette Fusion Power is a solid choice.
- Shave With the Grain First: Tough beards often hide sensitive skin. Start by shaving with the grain. For a closer shave, reapply lather and then shave across the grain. Save the against-the-grain pass for touch-ups only.
- Finish with a Protective Aftershave Balm: After the rigors of shaving, your skin deserves some TLC. Use a product like Burke Avenue's 3 IN 1 Daily Moisturizer for moisture, protection, and healing, preparing your skin for the next shave.
Tailor Your Shave to Your Needs
Every face and beard is unique. It's about customizing your shaving routine to suit your specific needs. Follow these guidelines, and you're on your way to a safer, more enjoyable shaving experience. Happy shaving!